Birthday Party FAQ
- Q: What do kids do at a Mad Science birthday party?
- A: During the first 40-45 minutes, the Mad Scientist will engage children with amazing science demonstrations that are conducted with the help of your birthday child and guests. Some examples of experiments that may be included are: fitting a hardboiled egg into an impossibly small space, seeing flash paper disappear and creating bubbling potions with dry ice. During the final 10-15 minutes of the party, the kids will make slime, putty or a bouncy ball to take home. Adding on a rocket launch, cotton candy or other finale will add 15-20 minutes to the length of your party.
- Q: How far in advance do I need to book my party?
- A: Our party schedule can fill up. We suggest you book at least 3 weeks in advance to get the date and time you want.
- Q: What do I need to do to make a reservation?
- A: You can fill out an online request form by clicking on the “Book now” button. We will respond to your request within one business day. You can also call us at (651) 793-5721 and we’ll be happy to schedule your party over the phone. No deposit is required.
- Q: What time can I have my party?
- A: On Saturdays and Sundays we have set party times of 10:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m., and 4:30 p.m. or later. Parties can also be scheduled Monday-Friday. All dates and times are subject to availability.
- Q: Do I need to know the exact number of kids attending my party to book it?
- A: No. All we need is an estimate of the number of children you expect to attend. We ask that you plan for the largest number of children expected. We will call the week before the party to confirm details and can adjust the party price at that time if needed.
- Q: Do you have any themed parties?
- A: We change the theme of the party every year or two so children can have another Mad Science party that is different. All our themes revolve around science. If you have already seen this year's featured birthday party, please mention it while ordering, so that the Mad Science party specialist may suggest a different party.
- Q: When will the Mad Scientist arrive?
- A: The Mad Scientist will arrive 15 to 30 minutes early to set up. He/she will be ready to start the show at the time you booked. It is best to start your party at least 30 minutes before your Mad Science show is scheduled to start, to ensure the Mad Scientist is able to start on time and that all the guests will be there.
- Q: What kind of space is needed?
- A: The Mad Scientist will need table space equivalent to a card table. We ask that you have enough space for the Mad Scientist and for your guests to be comfortable as well. The kids can be seated on the floor or on chairs, several feet back from the table.
- Q: How much space is needed for the rocket launch?
- A: The Mad Scientist will need a medium to large sized back yard or open space to launch the rocket. If you are not sure whether you have sufficient space, you can always add the rocket launch and then the Mad Scientist will assess whether or not it is safe to launch the rocket on the day of the party. You will not be charged for any cost if the rocket cannot be launched safely.
- Q: Will I have to provide the Mad Scientist with anything?
- A: We will need access to water for set-up and clean-up and access to electricity. Please let us know if your party location does not have either of these.
- Q: Once I have scheduled my party, can I make changes to it later?
- A: Any changes to your party must be made at least three business days before your party or during our confirmation call to you.
- Q: Is it okay to have other activities going on while the Mad Scientist is performing?
- A: The Mad Scientist will begin at the scheduled start time and continue until our portion of the entertainment is finished. We will not be able to stop for any other activities (ex. food or cake). Please plan accordingly.
- Q: Can I have the phone number of my Mad Scientist?
- A: Yes, a few days before the party you will be given the Mad Scientist’s personal contact information since the office is not open on the weekend.
- Q: For what ages are your parties appropriate?
- A: Our parties are appropriate for children between 5 to 12 years of age. Younger siblings generally watch, but do not actively participate in the party and should not make a take home project. We determine the number of attendees based on the number of children between the ages of 5 and 12. There is a special Junior Party that can be scheduled for 3 to 5 year olds.
- Q: When do I pay?
A: At the end of your party, you will pay the Mad Scientist for the invoiced amount. You can pay with cash, check, or provide
authorization to charge a credit card. You will call the office on Monday, or we will call you, to get the actual credit card number
Q: What is your policy on tipping?
- A. If you think your Mad Scientist did a great job, a tip is very much appreciated.
If you have any other questions, please call us at 651-793-5721.